Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Recipe...

or as I am now calling it - A Revelation!

Do you like guacamole? You know, the yummy green stuff at Mexican restaurants made from avocado?! Ok good. Now, how you ever made it yourself?! Oh you have... well then I guess I'm the only doofus that hadn't until this month! Seriously, what took me so long?! Best. Snack. Ever!

So, on the off chance there are other people out there like me who have not make their own guac (yeah it's cool enough to get it's own nickname), I present you with my simple, versatile, and extremely delicious recipe!

Simple & Delicious Guac

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
2 extremely ripe avocados*
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lime
dash of salt
dash of black or white pepper
1 tblsp. olive oil**
splash of white vinegar**

Appliances:
Food processor

Step 1: Put the onion in the food processor and pulse the life out of it. You want the onion to basically be pulversized, so all the juices come out, and so you don't get a giant bite of onion (unless you like that, then you can mince up some extra onion to stir in at the end).

Step 2: Peel and remove pit from avocado. Place the avocado in the food processor; add the garlic. Pulse until smooth.

Step 3: Place avocado mixture into bowl (preferably one that has a tight fitting lid). Squeeze the juice of the lime, salt, and pepper into guac and stir. If using, add oil and vinegar as well. Cover with lid (if possible let out as much air as you can), and refrigerate for 10-15 mins, or until cold.

Step 4: Serve with chips and enjoy!

*My avocado was in the fridge for like two weeks, because I kept forgetting to use it. Best accident ever actually, so you're going to want to buy your avocados in advance. It seems to be difficult to find soft ones at the store, so don't expect to go out today and have guac tonight. Apparently you can quicken the ripening process by placing the avocados in a paper bag with an apple or banana (or both). I have not tried this, but many people on Google tell me it is so (and the internets never lie, right?!).

**If you don't expect any leftovers, omit these ingredients, as they are for preservation purposes only. The oil and vinegar slow down the browning of the avocados.

Now, that was just my recipe using what I had around the house. This recipe is pretty versatile, IMO, so here are some suggestions of things to add:

-Cilantro: I actually have cilantro now, and plan to add some to the next guac I make.
-Jalapeno (or any other peppers): Want an extra kick? Throw in some peppers!
-Tomato: This is a fairly common addition to some guacamole. I don't really like them, so I didn't add them.
-Black Beans
-Corn


Really, you can add pretty much whatever you think will be tasty! :)

Leave a comment if you have a guac recipe I should try, or an extra ingredient I just have to add. Enjoy!

0 comments: