Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rant of the week!

**This is personal, not nanny related, just FYI**

So today started off good. I had a doctor's appointment at my Alternative Health Doctor, and everything checked out great. We're sticking with once a month rechecks, unless something gets out of balance, and I have a good supply of supplements that shouldn't change. So then, since I didn't have to work today, I had time to go to the bank. Well, I decided to go to a branch of my bank that's close to my doctor's, but I've never been there before. So the parking lot is really weird, and as I'm navigating it to pull into the drive up ATM, this curb comes out of no where!! (OK so I know the curb doesn't move, but seriously, I did not see it!!) I hit it pretty bad, and felt like a complete novice driver, but then, guess what . . . it busted up my tire!! Yep, tore it and it was completely flat.

PTL I had just gotten new tires within the last year, so I had a new, full-size tire in the trunk. So I pull into a parking spot, and get out, pissed off, frustrated, and so not wanting to change a tire in the middle of the bank parking lot! LOL But I pull out all the stuff and get started. Now I'm very proud of the fact that I can change a tire, and not have to call AAA (and wait 2+ hours) or try and find some random guy to change it for me. But can I tell you that in the 20 or so mins that it took me to change the tire NO ONE STOPPED TO ASK ME IF I NEEDED HELP!! And to make it worse, two, yes I repeat TWO men walked right by me in the parking lot and said nothing.


*pauses for appropriate gasps*


I know, right?! I mean I freaking live in the south - supposedly the land of gentlemen who help damsels in distress!! Ok, so I wasn't exactly a damsel in distress, but I was covered in black junk from the tires/bolts/jack and that was not making me happy at all! I mean come on people!! Help a girl out why don't ya?!

So, for any parents reading this blog, I have two requests:

  1. Please teach your boys to grow into helpful, courteous men that will at least offer to help a girl change her tire, even if it looks like she's got everything under control. She may decline the help, but she'll still appreciate the offer.
  2. Please make sure your daughters know how to change a tire before you let them get their driver's license. I learned, because the summer before my senior year of high school, I was at Summer Honors (Lee University - holla'!!), and on a trip into Chattanooga, one of the cars got a flat. Out of about nine girls, only one knew how to change the tire, and no one stopped to help us. So, I watched and I learned how to change a tire, and I'm so glad I did.


So, that's my rant for now. I just had to get it out there. I mean I know that it's very rare to find a gentleman these days, and I'm still impressed when the door is held open for me by a random guy, but in an (for lack of a better word) extreme situation, I would hope they would rise to the occasion.

0 comments: