Friday, August 14, 2009

Hmmm. . .

So, the decision has been made in regards to the YC's school placement. It was a last minute decision, that then changed again the next morning. . . Yes, you read that right! Monday night the decision was School B & K-prep class. Tuesday morning the husband called from the airport and had changed his mind. So now YC will be returning to School A, and their "4 yr. old" class. This throws a little bit of a wrench into my plans, but adjustments have been made, and it's going to be a busy year.
To be honest with you, I don't agree with the decision. Now before you get upset, I recognize that he is not my child, and so it doesn't really matter what I think, but I am his nanny, and I do think about these things. I'm afraid he's going to be completely bored and that this boredom will create more issues than were present last year. Maybe I'm wrong - in fact I hope that I am wrong, because as much as he can bring out the worst in me at times, I care about that little boy and his future. However, let's just say I'm glad I'm not the one taking him to school on the first day. I'm not really sure how he's going to react, because he's visited two other schools and told (at different times) that he's going to them. So it'll be interesting to see his reaction. He may not care, or even realize what's going on, but heaven help up if he does and doesn't like it! LOL
I will try and keep you posted! School A starts in two weeks, so he's got a little more summer left. The other two kids started on Monday and are getting back into the swing of things. The OC has an AP class this year, and she's freaking out that they already have a quiz [or test] tomorrow over their summer reading. The MC started middle school this year and everyday comes home with another "boy story!!" It's gonna be a fun ride this year. . . Stick around for it - I might need to hold your hand!!

2 comments:

Mommy Beauty said...

So what happens with the other family now? Does any of that change? I think, judging by stuff I've heard and observed in other families, that pre-k was the way to go, but I'm not even his nanny, so my opinion's not worth much. hehehe

Christin said...

I'm still going to work for the other family, since it's only three days a week. I'll finish with them 30mins earlier on Wed. so I can pick him up from school (he gets off at 1 - that's gonna be my insane day, I can already tell), but that may end in the winter (she's joined a tennis team).
I'm disagreeing more with the choice to put him back in the 4yr. old pre-k at his old school. I think it would be better for him to go to the other school's K-prep class (it's considered and early 5s class, and this year apparently it was mostly boys). I think he's going to be bored doing the same things as last year. The K-prep class is a full day (9-3) and they do the things he'd do in Kindergarten, but at a slower pace, with more free time. It eases them into it a bit more.
In the end though it really came down to finances. That's why it was such a last min. decision - Monday night he says they can afford it, but then calls the next morning from the airport to say it's too much? Something must have happened between then, and honestly I understand those concerns with the economy the way it is, but that doesn't mean I think it's the best thing for him. But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and that he actually is totally fine with going back (and hopefully they won't put him with the same teacher, so it'll be a little different).